2012 BMW K 1600 GT
Gran Turismo. Travel in big style. That means combining dynamic performance and comfort - and transforming distance into free space. BMW Motorrad's vision was the essence of this philosophy - the pure sense of Gran Turismo. This vision has now taken shape in the new K 1600 GT.
The in-line 6-cylinder engines by BMW are legendary. A myth which has been realized once more in the K 1600 GT - but now more compactly than ever before. 1649 cc, 160 hp and a maximum torque of 129 ft-lb. Even the facts are impressive. But the riding experience is even more inspiring. The transversely installed power units delivers an extraordinary level of dynamic performance as well as refined running smoothness.
If the rider is in the mood for a show of sporty prowess, the engine willingly puts in a burst of speed even in the lower engine speed range, and it is in its element over high-speed stretches. Over 70% of the maximum torque is available from just 1500 rpm.
While the bike's power reserves are huge, its dimensions are reduced. Weighing just under 227 lbs and with a width of 21.8" - never was a large-volume in-line 6-cylinder so compact. For outstanding handling and increased banking freedom. And a whole new touring bike feel.
For better visibility going into bends, the GT presents a world premiere for motorcycles: the optionally available adaptive headlight. It not only increases the exclusivity but also the active safety of the machine. Vision fulfilled.
The K 1600 GT. UNSTOPPABLE TOUR.
- Type: Oil-/water cooled 4-stroke in-line 6-cylinder engine, two overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder
- Bore x stroke: 72 mm x 67.5 mm
- Capacity: 1,649 cc
- Rated output: 160 hp (118 kW) at 7,750 rpm
- Max. torque: 129 lb-ft (175 Nm) at 5,250 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.2 : 1
- Mixture control / engine management: Electronic intake pipe injection, digital engine management (BMS-X)
- Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
- Maximum speed: Over 125 mph
- Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h: 52 mpg, at a constant 55 mph
- Fuel type: Unleaded super
- Alternator: Three-phase alternator 580 W
- Battery: 12 V / 19 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: Multiple-disc clutch in oil bath
- Gearbox: 6-speed, helical, gearbox
- Drive: Shaft
- Frame: Bridge-type frame, cast aluminum, load-bearing engine
- Front wheel location / suspension: BMW Motorrad Duolever; central spring strut
- Rear wheel location / suspension: BMW Motorrad Paralever
- Suspension travel front / rear: 4.9 in./5.3 in. (125mm /135 mm)
- Wheelbase: 66.1 in. (1,680 mm)
- Castor: 108.4 mm
- Steering head angle: 62.2 deg.
- Wheels: Cast aluminum wheels
- Rim, front: 3.50 x 17 in.
- Rim, rear: 6.00 x 17 in.
- Tires, front: 120/70 ZR 17
- Tires, rear: 190/55 ZR 17
- Brake, front: Dual disc brake, diameter 320 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers
- Brake, rear: Single disc brake, diameter 320 mm, double-piston caliper
- ABS: Series: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)
- Length: 91.5 in. (2,324 mm)
- Width (incl. mirrors): 39.4 in. (1,000 mm)
- Height (excl. mirrors): 56.7 in. (1,440 mm)
- Seat height, unladen weight: 31.9/32.7 in. (810/830 mm), (low seat bench: 30.7 in. [800/780 mm])
- Inner leg curve, unladen weight:
- Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled: 703 lb. (319 kg)
- Dry weight: 650 lb. (295 kg)
- Permitted total weight: 1,191 lb. (540 kg)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 461 lb. (209 kg)
- Usable tank volume: 7 gal.
- Reserve: Approx. 1 gal.
- Engine Type
- 4-stroke in-line 6-cylinder engine, two overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder
- 1,649 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 72 mm x 67.5 mm
- Oil-/water cooled
- Compression Ratio
- 12.2 : 1
- Fuel System
- Electronic intake pipe injection, digital engine management (BMS-X)
- Front Suspension
- BMW Motorrad Duolever; central spring strut
- Rear Suspension
- BMW Motorrad Paralever
- Front Brakes
- Dual disc brake, diameter 320 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers. BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)
- Rear Brakes
- Single disc brake, diameter 320 mm, double-piston caliper. BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR 17
- Rear Tire
- 190/55 ZR 17
- 66.1 in. (1,680 mm)
- Seat Height
- 31.9/32.7 in. (810/830 mm)
- 62.2 deg.
- 108.4 mm
- Fuel Capacity
- 7 gal.
- 52 mpg, at a constant 55 mph
- Dry Weight
- 650 lb. (295 kg)
- 6-speed, helical, gearbox
- Final Drive
- Light Grey Metallic, Vermilion Red Metallic