2016 Harley-Davidson® Softail Breakout 103
Hot: Save $2,668.00 now until 9/30/2019
Softail Breakout 103
Big wheels, big paint and classic drag-bike attitude meet modern refinement. Then we stuff it brimful with raw power
- There’s nothing like a fistful of American street muscle: Feast your eyes on the Breakout™ motorcycle’s glittering new High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine, waiting to send mountains of torque to that meaty 240mm rear tire. The profile is low, stretched out and undeniably aggressive. We top it with drag bars. This one lives to defy gravity and everything else.
- Authentic Styling: Get an eyeful of a Softail motorcycle and you see more than some weepy-eyed exercise in nostalgia. You’re looking at the kind of style that has the power to defy time. Honest. Uncluttered. Unaffected by the fad of the moment. There’s a good reason for this. We’ve used our long decades on the road, riding, wrenching, talking to other custom bike fanatics, to discover what works. Then we stick with it, and use it to push the boundaries of motorcycle design ever further. Take a look at the horseshoe oil tank adorning our Softail models. It’s the same one you’d see on a restored dresser from the ‘50s, or a radical Panhead chopper from the ‘70s. And you’ll find it right now on future Harley-Davidson models that still on the drawing board. Other companies may be content to imitate bits and pieces from our long history. On a Softail motorcycle every part down to the axle nut cover comes from an authentic tradition. With a genuine reason for looking the way it looks.
- Iconic Engine: The air-cooled 45° V-Twin engine at the heart of every Softail model is a prime example of what makes a Harley-Davidson motorcycle more satisfying than anything else. Its clean, uncluttered shape fits perfectly in the downtubes of the frame. Twist the throttle and the surge of torque hits you exactly where it counts. The knowledge of what makes an engine truly move a rider runs deep at The Motor Company, and it’s been put to particular good use to power the Softail family. We counterbalance the engine, which means we can bolt it directly to the frame. It keeps the styling tight at the center of the bike. It lets the rider feel the pulse of the V-Twin. Yet there aren’t any vibrations rattling the fillings out of your teeth. What’s good gets even better for 2016. The Softail family gets a power upgrade to the new High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine. More power is always a Harley-Davidson tradition.
- Technology: The beauty of the technology on a Softail motorcycle is that it never looks technological. That didn’t happen by accident and it doesn’t come easy, particularly when you consider that the inspiration for the family is the clean, wide-open lines of a vintage hardtail. Clutter it up with too many high tech doo-dads and you have a different machine entirely. Take a look at the anti-lock brakes now standard on many Softail models and available across the line. ABS gives you the control you want on a modern motorcycle. But our teams of industrial designers and engineers weren’t finished until the whole system had a streamlined design. The same goes for the clean look to the handlebars, thanks to a new electronic throttle system on every Softail model. With each passing year, adding a little technology to the ride looks better and better.
- Handling: If you’ve never experienced a Harley-Davidson Softail motorcycle, it’s time to find out what you’ve been missing. The venerable Softail frame has logged untold millions of miles, and we’ve put every one of them to good use. The result: one of the most fun rides in all of motorcycling. We’ve spent the years making the frame stiffer, the geometry more balanced and the braking more precise. The dazzling wheels are wrapped in premium Dunlop rubber. The low seats give you a confident feeling of being a part of the motorcycle. Get out on a rolling stretch of backcountry highway and it all comes together. The crisp and responsive ride. The killer looks. As long as we build motorcycles like this having a good time will never go out of style.
- Comfort: The authentic look of a Softail motorcycle comes from the days before anyone knew much about building a suspension. The rigid hardtail frames of yesteryear had a pure, uncluttered look that riders still love. But the bone-rattling ride meant your grandpa needed to strap on a kidney belt to keep his internals intact. The Softail family uses modern technology to consign the kidney belt to the museum. We've kept all the modern comforts where they belong—below the surface of a rad bike loaded with authentic style. You get the classic lines of a vintage "hardtail" frame with the horizontal rear shocks hidden in the guts. It's a signature rigid look, and you'll only find it on a Softail model.
- Hard Candy Custom™ Paint: Hard Candy Custom™ paint is a large metal flake finish that's more than just paint job, it's a shining declaration of independence - bright, bold and unique. You can push the long, low custom look of the Breakout® motorcycle even farther with optional Hard Candy Custom™ Black Gold Flake paint. This is true, old school metal flake paint laid down with the elbow grease it takes to hand sand layer upon layer of clear coat. You just might blow out a few onlookers' retinas if the sun hits it just right when you roll by.
- Side-mounted License Plate: We keep the look of the Breakout® model's signature rear clean and minimal with this side-mounted bracket, so nothing gets in the way of the showing off that big rear tire and tight fender.
- Breakout to the New: We cracked the mold when we built this one, so we couldn't help but name it the Breakout® motorcycle. You're looking at the timeless style that has earned a permanent spot in the heart of many a hardcore rider. Take a low, stretched-out frame, fill it to the brim with raw power, then wrap it up in meticulous style. We took our design cues from the classic Gasser drag bikes of the '50s and '60s. Then we went wild with the updates, most recently upgrading the premium graphics and paint. Big wheels, big paint, big chrome, all delivered with enough style to stop a crowd in its tracks. The only thing left was to engineer the ride to be everything you expect of a thoroughly modern Harley-Davidson® motorcycle, whether you're winding up a mountain road or cruising the strip. Maybe you, too, are due for a Breakout.
- Premium Craftsmanship: From wheel to wheel, we designed the Breakout® model with a hard eye for excellence: we forged it from top quality materials and crafted it with a dedication to perfection - from paint scheme and chromed-out styling to its slammed design, balanced ride and engine performance, we sweated every single fit, finish and tolerance of this perfect beast, because when you rule the road, there's no place for second best.
- Low Muscular Profile: With its big, bold stance, the Breakout® motorcycle makes a powerful impact even standing still. Its pure, clean lines, low-slung profile, stretched stance, big wheels and chopped fenders all shout premium custom, solid power and "look at me" attitude, even as its performance makes it your choice who gets to stare and for how long before you disappear.
- Powerful Front End: The Breakout® model comes on strong with thick, wide forks, chopped fender and that wide-standing big 21-inch, 3 1/2-in wide Gasser wheel raked out there, classic dragster-style. This solid, muscular road stance is matched by neutral and balanced handling, so your ride is as smooth and clean as your looks are mean.
- Premium Finish and 3-D Tank Medallion: The Breakout® model's power definitely includes its visual impact. That bold Hard Candy Custom™ Black Gold Flake, Charcoal Denim, Billet Silver, Crushed Ice Pearl, Velocity Red and Vivid Black treatment is an aggressive mix of gleam and darkness, while that exclusive gear-shaped glass-inlaid, cloisonné-and-chrome style tank medallion has a molten, liquid look that catches eyes and declares your ride as the next chapter in the Softail® family heritage.
- Gasser Wheels: Exclusively designed for the Breakout® motorcycle, these rims call back to the Gasser dragsters of the '50s and '60s while defining the next generation of custom style. Big and bold with their alternating spokes, these wheels shout strength and durability, while their alternating glossy Vivid Black and machined finishes on every other spoke deliver eye-catching visual impact.
- Fat Rear Tire Profile: Big is the name of the game for the Breakout® model, and they don't come bigger than this massive 18-inch, 240mm rear tire. It's the widest tire we've ever put on a product motorcycle and, wrapped around that Gasser rim, it's the perfect embodiment of the classic drag-bike heritage pumping through this ride.
- Slammed Console: It's not just slammed, it's the tightest console we've ever smacked onto a tank. And with its integrated decorative vent and electrical lines, its sleek profile adds a distinctive touch of ultra clean custom style to the Breakout® motorcycle's aggressive stance.
- Chopped Fenders: Low, tight and cut down to the legal limit, the Breakout® model's fenders add to its stretched and slammed custom style. We chopped them to the legal limit to show off those huge muscular tires and Gasser rims. Plus, the fender supports are one-piece forged aluminum, polished and chromed for the ultimate in strength, weight-reduction and looks.
- Riser-Mounted Speedo: All this power and style doesn't come at the expense of comfort and convenience. Feast your eyes on this 4-inch digital speedometer, mounted on risers to be close to your field of vision. It offers speed readout, along with fuel gauge and gear indicator.
- New High Output Twin Cam 103™ Engine Innovation: Fire up the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine and feel the low-end torque unleashed. Thanks to the lightweight piston design, delivery of the added power is more refined than ever. Then put your foot on the shifter and feel how the engine and Six-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission were designed to work together. Six speeds. A strong driveline and strong internal parts. Low routine maintenance. And a low cruising rpm that couldn't feel better.
- New High Output Twin Cam 103™ Engine: The knowledge of what makes an engine truly move a rider runs deep at The Motor Company, and it was put to good use when we created the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine. We sweated bullets perfecting every cubic inch, pushing design and technology forward. And we did it all without compromising one bit of Harley-Davidson's unique styling. Evolved, yet carrying on the legacy of the Flathead, Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, Evolution® and Twin Cam 88® and Twin Cam 96® engines that came before. The performance and durability are a direct result of the untold miles logged on the V-Twin since 1909 and the proud heritage that comes from a century's worth of commitment to life on two wheels.
- New High Output Twin Cam 103™ Engine Power: New High Output Twin Cam 103B™ Engine Power Asking riders if they’d like more power is like asking them “Would you like more beer in the pitcher?” when they've reached the end of a long day tearing up the roads. Everybody wants it, and the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine is 103 cubic inches of Harley-Davidson V-Twin you can rely on to deliver. The airbox increases intake airflow and the cam optimizes phase and duration. The result: better low-end torque and faster 60 to 80 mph 5th gear roll-on. In the tradition of the legendary Harley iron that came before it, the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine is once again raising the bar for the feeling an engine delivers to the rider.
- Black and Chrome Engine Styling: Feast your eyes on the High Output Twin Cam 103B™ engine and there's no mistaking its roots. From the classic edge of the cooling fins to the clean lines of cases and covers, this is authentic Harley-Davidson style through and through with an attention to detail you won't find from any other motorcycle company. And true to the rest of the Softail® Breakout® model's style, its engine treatment is also a masterpiece of machine art—the Vivid Black and Chrome finishes create a stark, sharply defined pattern of gleaming light and dark: glossy black muffler covers and oil tank cover, gleaming chrome pipes and rocker covers.
- Six-Speed Cruise Drive® Transmission: You want a ride that rumbles—not begs for mercy—when you lean on it a little. The Six-Speed Cruise Drive® transmission provides smooth, quiet shifting and reduces engine speed on the highway, so you get a better match between engine turnover and road speed. It's a rare ride when a bike responds like this, and a low growl goes a long way when you're opening up the road ahead.
- 3-in-1 Stop/Turn/Tail Lights: These chromed 3-in-1 lamps complement the Breakout® model's overall stylish, powerful profile while their state-of-the-art technology packs tail lights, turn and stop signal technology into each sleek, minimalist bullet.
- Anti-Lock Brakes: You may be cruising with swagger, but you know safety counts.
- H-D® Smart Security System: The factory-installed next-generation security system features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle's electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. It's this attention to detail and security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.
- Balanced Suspension & Handling: The Breakout® model may be a big bold bike with a powerful stretched stance, but it's definitely not just for show. We carefully balanced and damped its suspension to give it a neutral feel - even with those big, wide tires - and engineered it for lightness, for an excellent power-to-weight ratio. The bottom line? A smooth, fun ride whether roaring from stoplight to stoplight or winding along country roads.
- Front Brake System: The front brake system on the Softail® models this year delivers a 40 percent reduction in the amount of lever force required at peak braking. The handlebar master and front cylinders have been restyled. There's a new 4-piston fixed caliper with 32 and 34 mm pistons, premium caliper piston coating to minimize initial displacement and a larger 300 mm rotor. It all adds up to more stopping power with less effort.
- New Ergonomically Designed Hand Controls: When you've put as many miles as we have in the saddle, you get a strong feel for what's right and wrong on a motorcycle. Even the smallest annoyances start to add up with each passing mile, and that's especially true of the way the handlebar feels in your grip. So we worked over the hand controls with as much passion as we worked over the engine powering the Breakout® motorcycle. The shapes feel good, and are angled to fall right under your thumbs. It's just one more way each new mile feels even better than the ones that came before.
- New Electronic Throttle Control: The bareknuckle styling of the Breakout® motorcycle gets even cleaner with the addition of electronic throttle control. Take a look. There's no cable cluttering up the handlebars. Plus, the electronic set-up makes it a simple no-fuss-no-muss procedure to install Harley-Davidson® cruise control.
- Drag-Style Handlebar: Designed exclusively for the Breakout® model, these low and wide handle bars put you in an aggressive reach-forward riding position. And we routed their wiring internally, keeping a minimalist look that goes with the overall clean custom styling.
- Low Seat and Pillion: This two-piece saddle doesn't just look good, it feels great. Whether you're riding with a passenger or not, you'll roll and stop with confidence as the low bucket holds you slung close to your ride with the road in easy reach of your boots. And when you're riding solo, that removable rear-pillion also gives lower-back support for even more comfort, mile after mile.
- Length: 95.7 in. (2,430 mm)
- Seat Height, Laden: 24.7 in. (627 mm)
- Seat Height, Unladen: 25.8 in. (655 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.3 in. (110 mm)
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 35
- Trail: 5.7 in. (146 mm)
- Wheelbase: 67.3 in. (1,710 mm)
- Tires, Front Specification: 130/60B21 63H
- Tires, Rear Specification: 240/40R18 79V
- Fuel Capacity: 5 gal. (18.9 L)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 3.5 qt. (3.3 L)
- Weight, As Shipped: 678 lb. (308 kg)
- Weight, In Running Order: 707 lb. (321 kg)
- Engine: Air-Cooled, High Output Twin Cam 103B™
- Bore: 3.87 in. (98.4 mm)
- Stroke: 4.374 in. (111.1 mm)
- Displacement: 103.1 cu in (1,690 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Chain, 34/46 ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) 1st: 9.311
- Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd: 6.454
- Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd: 4.793
- Gear Ratios (overall) 4th: 3.882
- Gear Ratios (overall) 5th: 3.307
- Gear Ratios (overall) 6th: 2.79
- Exhaust: Staggered, straight cut chrome mufflers with gloss black muffler shields
- Wheels, Front Type: Gasser Cast Aluminum
- Wheels, Rear Type: Gasser Cast Aluminum
- Brakes, Caliper Type: 4-piston fixed front; 2-piston floating rear
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 97.4 ft-lb (132 Nm)
- Engine Torque (rpm): 3,000
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 23
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 23.4
- Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy: 42 mpg (5.7 l/100 km)
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, security system (optional), 6-speed, low fuel warnings, low battery, ABS
- Gauges: Clean tank console with a riser mounted speedometer
NOTES:Recommended 91 octane or higher fuel (R+M)/2. Fuel Economy estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary. Engine torque values shown are nominal. Performance may vary by country and region. Standard and optional fuel systems may vary by country. Standard and optional wheels may vary by country and region. North America security system includes immobilizer; outside North America the security system includes immobilizer and siren. Seat Height measurement reflects 180 lb. (81.7 kg) operator weight.
- Engine Type
- High Output Twin Cam 103B™
- 103.1 cu in (1,690 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.87 in. (98.4 mm) x 4.374 in. (111.1 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Front Brakes
- 4-piston fixed
- Rear Brakes
- 2-piston floating
- Front Tire
- 130/60B21 63H
- Rear Tire
- 240/40R18 79V
- 67.3 in. (1,710 mm)
- Seat Height
- Laden: 24.7 in. (627 mm); Unladen: 25.8 in. (655 mm)
- 35 deg.
- 5.7 in. (146 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5 gal. (18.9 L)
- 42 mpg (5.7 l/100 km)
- Dry Weight
- 678 lb. (308 kg)
- Vivid Black