2017 Indian Motorcycle Chief Vintage
It may look like something from the past. But this Chief® Vintage is all about the future. Behind those genuine-leather saddle bags and whitewall tires lurks something unexpected: progress. A keyless ignition. Cruise control. And a quick-release windshield for cruising around town. So fire up that chromed-out Thunder Stroke® 111 engine. And discover how sophisticated a simpler time can be. Be legendary.
- Heritage-inspired powerplant: Designed from the ground up, the Thunder Stroke® 111 is a powerful engine offering premium performance, as well as legendary features inspired by the Power Plus motor of the 1940s: Multi-directional finned valve covers; Downward firing exhaust; Large, parallel push-rod tubes; Organic, asymmetric fin styling; Right-hand drive; Right-hand cam cover; Classic 2/3 head-to-cylinder neck down
- Quick release saddlebags: These genuine leather saddlebags offer both style and convenience. They hold plenty of cargo for you and your passenger. Plus, they feature Quick Release technology, so you can attach or remove them in minutes.
- Classic white wall tires: The mark of classic Indian Motorcycle® design: whitewall tires.
- Chrome headdress: The most powerful icon in motorcycling. Since 1947, the illuminated headdress has graced the front fender of nearly every Indian Motorcycle, guiding the way from legend to legend.
- ABS Braking: With ABS braking, you'll ride with confidence, knowing you can brake under control in any situation.
- Driving lights: With standard front driving lights, the Chief® Vintage illuminates the road for safe riding, day or night.
- Quick release windshield: This stylish windshield provides outstanding wind and weather protection to make every ride more comfortable. With Quick Release technology, it can be installed or removed in less than a minute, with no tools.
- 119 ft-lbs of torque: The Thunder Stroke® 111 produces 119 ft-lbs of torque with extraordinary power at low RPM, so you can accelerate hard with power to spare in every gear.
- Internally wired handlebars: This high-profile area features all-chrome hand controls. Plus, all of the wiring is routed inside the handlebars for a clean, premium-quality look.
- Keyless ignition: Never fumble for your key again. With the proximity fob in your pocket, all you have to do is climb on, press the start button and ride away. Misplace your fob? Just enter your personal security code and go.
- Cruise Control: Automotive-quality cruise control is easy to set and adjust for smooth, relaxed highway cruising.
- Modern yet timeliness instruments: We brought this heritage-inspired instrument panel into the 21st century, while maintaining its timeless style.
- Chrome hand controls: Chrome is the new standard, and you’ll find it from end to end on the Chief® Vintage.
- Premium Genuine leather: Cushioned seats and spacious saddlebags feature premium grade leather designed to withstand the elements and retain its natural beauty. The seats deliver all-day riding comfort. And the bags provide convenient, reliable cargo space.
- Indian Motorcycle® Badging: The logos and branding on this bike are powerful, stylish and iconic. No other brand has such legendary identification. For over 115 years, Indian Motorcycle® has stood for the ultimate in power, performance and style.
- Cast aluminum frame: This cast aluminum frame is lightweight yet exceptionally strong, providing excellent low-speed handling, and confidence-inspiring stability on the highway.
- Chrome highway bars: Chrome highway bars provide premium-quality shine that can be accessorized with stylish wraps or comfortable footrests.
- Engine Type: Thunder Stroke® 111
- Displacement: 111 cu in. (1811 cc)
- Bore x Stroke: 3.976 in. x 4.449 in. (101 mm x 113 mm)
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Electronic Fuel Injection System: Closed loop fuel injection / 54 mm bore
- Primary Drive: Gear Drive Wet Clutch
- Drive/Driven Clutch: Wet, Multi-Plate
- Final Drive: 2.2 : 1
- Peak Torque: 119.2 ft-lbs (161.6 Nm)
- Peak Torque RPM: 3000 rpm
- 1st: 9.403 : 1
- 2nd: 6.411 : 1
- 3rd: 4.763 : 1
- 4th: 3.796 : 1
- 5th: 3.243 : 1
- 6th: 2.789 : 1
- Suspension: Front - Type/Travel: Telescopic Fork / 4.7 in. (119 mm)
- Front Fork Tube Diameter: 46 mm
- Suspension: Rear - Type/Travel: Single Shock / 3.7 in. (94 mm)
- Brakes/Front: Dual / 300mm Floating Rotor / 4 Piston Caliper
- Brakes/Rear: Single / 300mm Floating Rotor / 2 Piston Caliper
- Wheels/Front: 40 Spoke 16 in x 3.5 in
- Wheels/Rear: 40 Spoke 16 in x 5 in
- Tires/Front: Dunlop® American Elite 130/90B16 67H
- Tires/Rear: Dunlop® American Elite 180/65B16 81H
- Exhaust: Split dual exhaust w/ cross-over
- Wheelbase: 68.1 in. (1730 mm)
- Seat Height: 26.0 in. (660 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 5.5 in. (140 mm)
- Overall Height: 58.7 in. (1490 mm)
- Overall Length: 103.7 in. (2634 mm)
- Overall Width: 39.4 in. (1000 mm)
- Rake: 29°
- Trail: 6.1 in. (155.0 mm)
- Fuel Capacity: 5.5 gal. (20.8 L)
- GVWR: 1260 lb. (573 kg)
- Weight (Empty Tank / Full of Fuel): 824 lb. / 856 lb. (374 kg /388 kg)
- Color / Graphics: Willow Green over Ivory Cream, Indian Motorcycle® Red over Ivory Cream, Springfield Blue over Ivory Cream
- Gauges: Tank mounted electronic speedometer with odometer; dual tripmeters; digital tachometer; ambient air temperature; fuel range; average fuel economy; battery voltage; gear position display; real-time clock; vehicle trouble code readout; heated grip level (if heated grips installed); low engine oil pressure; and 9 LED telltale indicators: High Beam, Chassis Fault, Turn signals (separate), ABS, Neutral, TPMS, Check Engine, Sidestand; Tank mounted electronic fuel gauge with low fuel LED indicator
- Standard Equipment: ABS; Cast Aluminum Frame with Integrated Air-Box; Cruise Control; Highway Bar; Indian® Script Tank Badge; Keyless Start; Light Bar; Desert Tan Genuine Leather Seats; Quick Release Windshield; Quick Release Vintage Leather Saddle Bags; Vintage Fender Badge
- Engine Type
- Thunder Stroke® 111
- 111 cu in. (1811 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.976 in. x 4.449 in. (101 mm x 113 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Closed loop fuel injection / 54 mm bore
- Front Suspension
- Telescopic Fork / 4.7 in. (119 mm)
- Rear Suspension
- Single Shock / 3.7 in. (94 mm)
- Front Brakes
- Dual / 300mm Floating Rotor / 4 Piston Caliper
- Rear Brakes
- Single / 300mm Floating Rotor / 2 Piston Caliper
- Front Tire
- Dunlop® American Elite 130/90B16 67H
- Rear Tire
- Dunlop® American Elite 180/65B16 81H
- 68.1 in. (1730 mm)
- Seat Height
- 26.0 in. (660 mm)
- 29 deg.
- 6.1 in. (155.0 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.5 gal. (20.8 L)
- Dry Weight
- 824 lb. (374 kg)
- Willow Green over Ivory Cream, Indian Motorcycle® Red over Ivory Cream, Springfield Blue over Ivory Cream